September 26, 2007

Puka the dog




For those of you who have been any part of the Smith family you know who Puka is. Last wednesday my mom discovered that she was bleeding from her "girl area" and that required an emergency visit to Loomis Basin Vet clinic which resulted in a two night stay after a mass was discovered. She was sent home on friday only to learn that night that is was cancer. After some of the shock has worn off it was decided the only humane thing to do to this very sweet little dog was to put her down. So saturday was tough. This might shock a few but yes we all cried. She was loved and spoiled by her feeding schedules and potty routine. The only thing that kind of tipped us off was how much of a routine she really had and how it had changed a lot. So what is the deal with pets who die? Will they be there ready to welcome us when we leave this world. I think so, but Puka will be barking to warn others that we've arrived. Thanks Puk for always being there.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh! I got all teary-eyed reading that! I went to Mom's today and it was sooo quiet, it was very sad. :( For the record though, dogs totally go to heaven, so Shaun might be re-thinking his decision to go there if that's where Pooka is!

Mrs. Snip said...

Ohh my goodness. What a shock. I am so sorry. Puka was a great dog, even if she was the most spoiled pet I have ever met. Tell your mom I am so sorry. I am sure she will see Puka again.

Andrea said...

I am so sorry to hear about Puka. I know that she was a big part of your family. Give your Mom a hug for me.